“Be creative,” we often say when we are talking about ways you can make CTP Teams more fun, exciting and rewarding for yourself and your team mates.
Right now if there was the title ‘King of Creativitity at CTP Teams’ then Nick Grimshawe from Learn With Nick and who leads CTP Masters would certainly be up for the crown.
Here is why. Nick wants to build his list so that he can have a community of subscribers that he can connect with. Traditionally list building is, perhaps, a little bit boring and not terribly creative. “Sign up for my list and I will send you a free report which you probably won’t even read,” is the industry standard.
But what if list building could be fun and exciting…so much so that it got everybody talking.
Well then you would have to do something like this…
And perhaps make a splash page to promote it which looks something like this…
(The background to this promotion is that Matt Badura, the leader of SurfAholics Alpha, had recently launched a promotion to give away 50,000 XP for people signing up to the team blog.)
So the pages were promoted and Nick watched as people signed up to his list. It was a creative campaign and Nick could have just chosen a winner and announced it on his blog and ended it there.
But he had a trick up his sleeve. He wanted to see if he could get Jon Olson to announce the winner on TELive. Now Jon gets requests to do this or that every single day and he cannot possibly do all of them so there was a need to really get his attention and make him really want to announce the winner on the show.
This is how he did it:
- Nick printed out the names of all the people who entered his brown bag promo.
- He cut them into strips of equal size and placed them all in a brown paper bag.
- He melted some wax and used it as a seal to ensure the bag was not tampered with and that everyone could see that it was not opened until the time was right.
- The whole package was sent to Jon Olson by post with a request to open the package and announce the winner on TELive and Jon instantly said “yes.”
- So now you know why Jon had his hand in a paper bag on TELive yesterday.
Jon said the campaign was one of the most creative he had ever seen and TELive effectively became the Nick Grimshawe show.
In the end Nick decided to sweeten the deal by giving away 75,000 XP if the winner was a member of a CTP Team.
Jon pulled out a paper strip and the winner was…Gary Schmitt from The Strays.
This is how Nick stood out from the cr0wd and got himself noticed…what are you going to do to get yourself noticed?
Great promo Nick and well done Gary for winning.